10 Best Martial Arts Movie Moments
There are plenty of memorable martial arts movie scenes. Some of them are so inspirational, they need to be pulled out of the archives and put on display. In no particular order, this is our list of the 10 best martial arts movie moments of all time:
Legend of the Drunken Master – If you never saw this one, don’t worry about it. You didn’t miss much, with the exception of a terrific session of Jackie Chan butt kicking at the end. It’s worth a search to find the clip.
Return of the Dragon – In a 9-minute fight sequence between two masters of popular martial arts, a young Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris duke it out in a giant temple while a kitten watches. Special points for martial arts apparel are awarded here, because the light versus dark sparring pants are perfect.
Kill Bill, Volume 2 – Beatrice Kiddo versus Bill in the final sequences of this film are ironic, anti climactic and heart breaking. Making your enemy’s heart explode without raising more than one hand is enough to make it on this list.
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon – The duel scene between Michelle Yeoh and Ziyi Zhang features an array of weapons no one should be able to wield.
The Protector – We could rank virtually any scene Tony Jaa fights in, but this one takes the cake. In a 4-minute uncut scene, Jaa takes on an entire restaurant and wins. Additional points for martial arts apparel are awarded here as well. Jaa looks like he could go to a nice dinner afterward without changing.
Romeo Must Die – Pitting Aaliyah and Jet Li against each other was the only way to save this movie from the ranks of so many before its time. The scene was beautiful, and shear style puts it in the mix.
Equilibrium – Christian Bale fans might have missed this one, but the movie is a gem. Bale’s character pulls a gun-wielding martial arts masterpiece in a dark room in the opening sequences. The fighting style never caught on, but it gets our vote.
Bloodsport – Sure, Jean Claude Van Damme isn’t doing a lot of film work these days. The final fight scene of this one is enough for him to never work again. Few actors could capture the emotion in martial arts while balancing a serious scene like this one. Van Damme can, and we salute him.
Dragons Forever – In a serious role, Jackie Chan fights real-life legend Benny Urquidez in his final on-screen fight in this movie. The cigar-smoking lurker in the back makes things interesting.
Maybe you have your own list of ultimate martial arts movie scenes. Hopefully some of these made it on yours. The next time you see any of these films, look out for the scenes that make them remarkable!
- Martial Arts Movie News For RZA's "Man With The Iron Fists"
- TheNerdpocalypse: Best 80s American Martial Arts Movie Scenes!
- How Will the New Karate Kid Movie Affect the Martial Arts Industry?
- Martial Arts Weekend Movie Watch: Pirates Take This Round
- New Martial Arts Movie 'Shaolin' Has a Trailer, Jackie Chan
- Martial Arts Movie 'The Grandmaster' Officially Released Overseas, U.S. Release TBA
- New '47 Ronin' Movie Trailer Mixes Martial Arts Fantasy With Epic Monsters!
- Mixed Martial Arts Star Gina Carano To Star In Next Fast And Furious Movie
- "Films of Fury: The Kung Fu Movie Movie" Trailer Hits The Internet Like A One Inch Punch
- Kimmel’s Movie: The Movie has everything! (Or does it?)